12/10/10

Encouragement in a "New York Super Fudge Chunk" Minute

On Monday, I was at a Christmas party where I somehow ended up talking with my friend Jeanne about our first jobs. I laughed when I recalled my first job at Baskin Robbins where I quickly gained 10 lbs.! 

"What was your favorite flavor?" she asked, awaiting my answer with the eager anticipation of a 10-year-old. 

"Pralines and creme."  

"No way!" she said, "Me too!"  We were fast becoming secret ice cream buddies. I had to admit, though, that I'd moved on from Baskin Robbins:
"As far as I'm concerned, there is no greater flavor this side of paradise than Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk." 

"No way!" she said, "That's my favorite too!" she gasped. We soon forgot everyone around us while we gushed about the rich, dense dark chocolate ice cream filled with dark and white chocolate gobs, as well as huge fat chunks of walnuts. Ah...divinity. 

The next day, my husband and I received some long-dreaded disheartening news regarding a family matter.  Jeanne called me later to just say she was thinking of us and if I wanted to get together for coffee, she was available.  Later she called again, "I'd really like to stop by and give you something. Will you be home tomorrow?" 

Today she showed up on my doorstep with a Christmas bag. Jeanne makes beautiful handmade jewelry, so I thought maybe she had brought me one of her creations.  She insisted I open it right away.  Inside were four pints of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk Ice Cream. FOUR PINTS!  Do you know what GOLD this is? This, my friends, is love.

Never underestimate the power of New York Super Fudge Chunk.  More important--never underestimate the power of a thoughtful gesture, even a silly one, to bring encouragement. Jeanne didn't help my waistline, but the fact that she took the time to go buy 4 pints of Ben and Jerry's and bring it to me...well, how can you put a price on friendship like that?

3 comments:

Coach Katy said...

Great day in th'mornin'!!! Now that's loving encouragement... Mmmmmmmmm good,too! : ))))))

L Kay Johnson said...

seriously!

jae said...

You just made me smile!