1/7/09

You Complete Me

Ladies, how often do you second guess yourself? I think women are much worse about this than men. My negative self talk goes something like this, "What do you think you are doing? You have no business telling people how to market. You're not an expert. Who do you think you are?"

Why do we do this to ourselves?

The other day, though, I was meeting with a client who kind of intimidates me because he's so smart (way smarter than me--I admit it!). And I had this weird experience. It was like I could still see myself and this client having a conversation, but at that moment, I heard another voice, and I was suddenly part of second conversation. That voice said something like this: "Don't be overly impressed by this guy. You have everything you need for whatever I ask you to do."

"Really? Everything?"

"Everything. If you have me, you have everything."

"You mean..."

"I mean everything...all the time, wisdom, insight, skills, and resources that you need. Everything."

"Oh....ok....I'm good to go then?"

"You're good to go."

Wow.

As a Christian, I believe that God lives in and through me. And if I really believe that, then I must also believe he has equipped me for whatever he leads me to do. The trick is to listen for the leading. If I allow myself to tune in and be guided by him, I can't go wrong--both for myself and for my clients. I will look for their highest good, and I will know how to achieve it.

There's a passage in Scripture that reads, "You are complete in Him." (Colossians 2:8-10). (And you thought that was from Jerry Maguire!) In a world where we sometimes feel inadequate or not quite up to the task, I find this very comforting indeed.

I meet weekly with a small group of women here in Sarasota. We have a great time together: food (of course--usually involving copious amounts of chocolate), giggles, roaring laugter, major sidebars and rabbit trails, and eventually we study some aspect of Scripture together. Connie, our fabulous facilitator, tell us it's like herding cats, but we have a good time anyway. We are currently studying Colossians, and I've created a blog to go with the study. If you are interested, you can access it at www.livingthefulness.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Kay! this one is especially for me.
It was great to see you yesterday. We'll have to meet up more often.

Connie said...

Wow, You are beautiful darling!!!! You make me laugh...........

L Kay Johnson said...

I aim to please.